Sunday, February 26, 2012

If I chose the Oscar winners (...from the films that have been nominated)

                I enjoy watching the Academy Awards every year. It’s nice to see the stars dressed up and mingling at their yearly prom, though I don’t really care much about who is wearing what.  I’m happy to see Billy Crystal back too. I don’t get too worked up about what movies win because most of my favorite movies would never be considered anyway. But I usually have a horse to root for in almost every category. The tradition for the Oscars at our house is usually my wife and I watching from the beginning of the red carpet arrivals, then her going to bed midway through the awards so that she can get up for work, and me with my trusty bowl of popcorn seeing it through to the end. But this year we are making a little more to do of it, Amanda will be staying up, and we’ll even have our friend Ruth over. We’re even wearing movie related t-shirts. Did I mention more snacks? Oh, well, more snacks too.

I haven’t seen a number of the short films, foreign films and documentaries, so I’m not going to pass judgment on them. But I will tell you some of my major picks.   I know everyone has their own movies that they are pulling for, and I know a number of mine won’t win… but I thought I would talk about where my allegiances lie. Here a list: ‘If I chose the Oscar winners (from the films that have been nominated).’

Without further ado –

Writing (Original Screenplay)
Midnight in Paris

This movie was written brilliantly and beautifully on every level (from story to characters to character development, etc…).

Visual Effects-
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2
(Closely followed by Transformers Dark of the Moon… actually I would be good with either of these taking this category)

I would probably put Real Steel in third.
The effects in in Hugo and Rise of the Planet of the Apes while great, to me were noticeably not quite as polished

Sound Mixing and Editing
I am going with Transformers Dark of the Moon for both of these categories.

Okay, I know, you already knew I was going to pick that… but if you saw that movie you’d know that it was (not only really loud, but) filled with a lot of insanely intricate sound mixing and editing from start to finish.

Music (Original Song)
‘Man or Muppet’ from ‘The Muppets’

The Muppet movie was delightful, and I found myself singing this song to myself long after the movie was over.

Music (Original Score)
Hugo

Makeup
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2

It might not win, but look into your heart… you know it should.

Film Editing
I’m going to take ‘The Artist’ on this one.

I chose this movie because not only did I think the editing was excellent, but they also overcame the added challenge of keeping the story presented in an outdated format interesting to an audience with modern pacing sensibilities.

Directing
I want Woody Allen to win, though I don’t think it will happen.

Costume Design
I would like to see costume design go to ‘The Artist’.

Art Direction
Hugo
Art Direction was tough, I had a hard time choosing between Hugo, The Artist, and Harry Potter.

Cinematography
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Animated Feature Film
Rango
This should absolutely be Rango.

Actress in a Supporting Role
Berenice Bejo in ‘The Artist’

Actor In a Supporting Role
I’d be great to see Jonah Hill win for Moneyball, but I don’t think it will happen.

Actress In a Leading Role
Viola Davis in ‘The Help’
She was excellent.

Actor In a Leading Role
Jean Dujardin in ‘The Artist’
He's amazing

Best Picture
Midnight in Paris

Easily the best picture of the year. I doubt it will win because I don’t think it is heavy-handed enough compared to the types of films that usually win.

As long as  ‘The Tree of Life’ does not win.  That movie is easily among the worst films (if not THE worst film) I’ve ever seen nominated.

Well it’s time to get the snacks ready; the Academy Awards will be starting soon!
Maybe if my choices don’t win, yours will. If nothing else I hope it will be an entertaining evening.

Kind Regards,
William j Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment